Affordable rental housing
Uniting independent living can help connect you to a number of affordable rental accommodation options if these criteria apply to you:
- Aged 55 or over (or 45 and over if Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander). In some circumstances slightly younger applicants with a disability may be considered
- An Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia
- Have a household income within the income eligibility limit
- Able to live independently with or without support
- Not already housed permanently by Housing NSW or a community housing provider
- Do not own property which could reasonably be expected to resolve your housing need.
Rental accommodation options include:
- General non-government funded rental accommodation where rent is based on your income.
Applications can be made directly to Uniting.
- Social housing rental accommodation where rent is based on a household income and calculated in line with the Community Housing Rent Policy.
Eligibility is via the Housing Pathways system run by NSW Depertment of Family and Community Services (FACS). Visit the Housing Pathways website for more information.
- National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) units where your rent is no more than 74.9% of the market rent for the property.
If you meet the NRAS eligibility criteria you can put your name on our waiting list for these units. Applications can be made directly to Uniting. For information about NRAS eligibility visit the Australian Government Department of Social Services website on NRAS.
- Affordable Housing (under the Social and Affordable Housing Fund).
To be eligible for this you’ll need to be on the Housing Pathways housing register. Visit the Housing Pathways website for more information.
Get in touch
Our team is available to chat to you about accessing affordable independent living rentals.
Call us on 1800 864 846 (1800 UNITING).
Our customer service team is available from Monday – Friday, 8.00am – 6.00pm AEST.
Email us at email@example.com or send us an email by completing the form below.