Have a question?

Get in touch

Affordable rental housing

Uniting independent living has a number affordable rental accommodation programs within the eligibility criteria outlined below.

It’s important to note that acceptance onto our waiting list doesn’t guarantee that we will be able to offer you housing. This is because we don’t know when a vacancy will become available and there may be many other applicants on the list. That’s why we recommend you continue to consider other housing options.

To be eligible for rental housing with Uniting, you need to be:

  • Aged 55 or over (or 45 and over if Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander).
  • A resident in NSW or ACT for NRAS.
  • An Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  • Able to live independently with or without appropriate support in place.
  • Currently meeting the income eligibility criteria applicable to the program. (Note that income limits are different for each program and reviewed each year.)
  • Not already housed permanently by Housing NSW or a community housing provider.
  • Not in ownership of a property that could reasonably be expected to resolve your housing needs.

If you do not meet these criteria and you would prefer to purchase a property, you can view our list of properties for sale.

Rental accommodation options include:

  • Non-government funded rental accommodation (studio and 1 bed units only) where rent is based on your income.
    Applicants can put their name on our waiting list.
  • Social housing where rent is based on a household income and calculated in line with the Community Housing Rent Policy.
    Applicants for the social housing units come from the NSW housing register via the Housing Pathways system run by NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS). Visit the Housing Pathways website for information on how to apply.
  • National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) units where rent is no more than 74.9% of the market rent for the property. If you meet the NRAS eligibility criteria you can put your name on our waiting list for these units. For information about NRAS eligibility visit the Australian Government Department of Social Services website on NRAS.
  • Affordable housing (under the Social and Affordable Housing Fund)
    If you meet the Affordable Housing eligibility criteria, you can put your name on our waiting list for these units that are provided through a partnership with the NSW Government.

Get in touch

Our customer service team is available from Monday – Friday, 8.00am – 6.00pm AEST.

Call us on 1800 864 846 (1800 UNITING).

Or you can email us